But with Valentine's day falling on a Friday this year it is just perfect to be spontaneous and create wonderful memories. Whisk him/her away to a concert, show or the gold class movies, sports game or jet off for a quick gettaway - Jetstar have flights going at great prices - www.jetstar.com/au/en/special-offers.
If that's not your scene here are some of my other picks:
- Get a gift that gives years of enjoyment and colour. Buy a rose bush or flowering shrub to plant in the back yard. Bunnings have a wonderful selection of plants.
- Plan a picnic at the beach or park under the stars. Pack a picnic basket, rug and a great bottle of wine. Take a star chart and look for stars that you know. Choose a star for just the two of you.
- For someone who has everything.... have a star named after them. Go to www.starregistry.com.au and select a constellation and register a star.
- Make love coupons or vouchers containing promises that range from the mundane to the downright sexy. Make a large heart from construction paper and attach as many coupons as you are willing to give e.g. "This voucher is good for one massage in a bubble bath. Any time day or night" Let your imagination run wild and have fun!
- Get organised and pack the car up with camping gear, kids and dog and get away and spend some quality family time over the weekend. The kids do go to sleep eventually and you too can have some quality time, chilling out with a nice glass of red.
- An absolute treasure, Coolabah Charms create personalised hand stamped gold or silver pendants, a unique and special gift. www.coolabahcharms.com/
- Whether you want something invigorating, relaxing or just romantic , Red Balloon have some awesome gifts, ideas and experiences for Valentine's Day www.redballoon.com.au/valentines-day-gifts
- For something totally left field and for someone who loves the tropics and creativity - book a trip to Fiji. Paradise Courses have yoga, art/painting, snorkelling, and writing getaways at Daku Resort in Vanua Levi, Fiji. http://paradisecourses.com/2014-courses-2.
- Lastly, have a special evening at home. Dress up, fill the house with candles, beautiful music and create a meal followed by a dessert that is wickedly delicious - my chocolate mousse. Enjoy.
Wishing you a Happy Valentine's Day xxx
- 300g quality dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
- 300ml thickened cream plus extra whipped cream to serve
- Grated chocolate to serve
Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water Stir chocolate until melted. Remove bowl from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
Place eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat with electric beaters for approximately 5 minutes, or until mixture is pale, thick and doubled in volume. With spatula fold in cooled chocolate and cocoa powder until combined.
In a separate bowl, whip cream until thickened (be careful not to over-beat). Use a large metal spoon to carefully fold the cream into the chocolate mixture, keeping the mixture as light as possible. Spoon into 6 serving glasses and chill in fridge for at least 1 hour. Remove from fridge 15 minutes before serving, top with extra whipped cream (optional - you may not need extra cream as this recipe is super rich) and grated chocolate to serve.