About Me

Tuesday 31 December 2013

New Year - Exercise, and Eat Pav!!

2013 has come and gone and so did our resolutions. I did stick to one last year and that was to start a blog and I did.  A first in many ways. 
This year I need to exercise. I had a year last year of doing very little always putting it off, thinking that the 17 stairs (so my youngest tells me) at home going up and down was enough but obviously not enough as my wobbly bits still wobble and are heading south! As we know exercise  has many benefits from improving cardiovascular health, sleep, mood and keeping that spark in your sex life, all in all creating a happier and healthier you! 
So my aim is at least 30 mins jogging or walking the dog each day. I'm off to a good start today, walking around the lake at Twin Waters. I do need to update my tunes on my iPhone after listening to John Mayers "Bigger than my Body" and Birdy's "Skinny Love" time and time over. 

With exercise in hand I have decided that if I keep it up and I will, that the good old Aussie/Kiwi Pavlova is a wonderful dessert to indulge over New Years and Summer holidays. It is crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, heaven! My tips - beat really well, use clean dry bowl, eggs at room temperature and do not be tempted to peek in oven - keep door closed at all times.

Pavlova

6 egg whites
2 cups caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar 
1 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
2 cups whipped cream
2 punnets sliced strawberries
4 sliced kiwi fruit
Pulp from 4 passionfruit

Turn oven on to 150 degrees Celsius. Draw 26 cm circle on baking paper and turn baking paper over and place on baking tray. 

Beat egg whites with electric beaters in large dry metal bowl until peaks form. Slowly add caster sugar beating well after each addition leaving 2 tablespoons of sugar in cup. Mix sugar, cornflour and vinegar to form a paste and add to mixture. Beat really well for 5 to 10 minutes until all sugar is dissolved and you have stiff peaks. I find it is better to beat for 10 minutes. 
Spread the mixture inside the circle with a flat metal spatula. Once fairly even run spatula up sides of meringue creating furrows. I go round twice doing this to strengthen the sides. Swirl on top and place in oven for 40 minutes. Turn temperature down to 120 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes then turn oven off and leave to cool in oven. When cool decorate with whipped cream, strawberries, kiwi fruit and drizzle with passionfruit.   Enjoy and Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment